Frequently Asked Questions
We've prepared a list of questions and answers that reflects most of the things guests want to know
If this list doesn't include your question, just ask! We'll be happy to answer it, and who knows -- maybe it will end up this list too! Here goes:
- What are your deposit requirements?
- Do you require a security deposit?
- Do I have to bring my own bedding/pillows?
- What cooking/eating utensils will I need?
- Do you provide charcoal/firewood for the grill or fire pit?
- Will my cellphone work in your cabin?
- Are there any limits on Internet usage?
- Do I have to clean up after myself?
- Will I be hit with charges for consumables or minor damages?
- Can I hold my family reunion at your cottages?
- What do I do for food?
- Can I check in early/check out later?
- Can I bring my pet?
- I want to have family over for dinner, do I have to pay extra?
- Do your cottages allow smoking?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- How do I get into the cottage I rented?
- Are your cottages handicapped accessible?
- What if my guest numbers change after I make a booking?
- Who counts as children?
- What is your marijuana policy?
- Do you have quiet time?
What are your deposit requirements?
A deposit of 50% of your total reservation cost is required to confirm your booking. This charge is automatically processed when you make your reservation on our direct site. The balance of your reservation is then automatically charged one day before your arrival date. This only applies to bookings on our direct website TheRiverRockCottages.com. When booking through airbnb, VRBO and/or TripAdvisor, the deposit policy is based on the individual channel's policies.
Do you require a security deposit?
- Yes, we require a security deposit hold of $300. A $300 hold will be placed on your credit card 2 days before your arrival. The hold is released 7 days after departure. We're fortunate in that we rarely have to charge for damages. Thank you wonderful guests! If a charge is required, we will send an itemized list to the email we have on file.
This only applies to bookings on our direct website TheRiverRockCottages.com. When booking through airbnb, VRBO and/or TripAdvisor, the deposit policy is based on the individual channel's policies.
Do I have to bring my own bedding/sleeping bags/pillows?
- No, bedding is provided for all beds in our cottages, including clean sheets, blankets, quilts, and pillows.
What cooking/eating utensils will I need?
- Our cottages are provided with all ordinary cooking equipment, including pans, cutlery, dishware, and grilling tools. Unless you have a specific and unusual requirement, you should not need to bring anything to cook with.
Do you provide charcoal/firewood for the grill or fire pit?
- No, we do not provide charcoal, firewood or lighter fluid. At times there are supplies left over from previous guests. Charcoal, firewood and lighter fluid is easily available at our local grocery store, Safeway, or at gas stations / convenience stores.
Will my cellphone work in your cottage?
- It should. Our service provider is Verizon and we do not have any issues. In addition, all our cottages have high-speed Internet and WiFi. We do not have landlines.
Are there any limits on Internet usage?
- We do not actively throttle or block any particular websites or Internet protocols. Our Internet connections can be used to stream Netflix and hold Skype conversations. However, please bear in mind that our properties are in a mountainous area, and Internet connection speed and reliability cannot be guaranteed. We recently installed TrailBlazer Broadband in all of our cottages which is the best internet access available in the Estes Valley.
Do I have to clean up after myself?
- We do not expect you to do your own laundry; you didn't go on vacation to clean house, after all! However, we may assess an extra cleaning charge if the cottage is left in an unusually filthy state, e.g. mud tracked all over the floors, dirty caked-on dishes, etc. If you're reasonably decent, there won't be a problem. We do ask that you take your trash out the dumpster on your departure day, put dishes in the dishwasher and turn it on.
Will I be hit with charges for consumables or minor damages?
- We expect a certain amount of wear and tear, as well as consumption of products. We expect you to use the toilet paper, dishwasher detergent, etc., and there'll be no charge. We also understand that light bulbs blow, plates break, and there may be the occasional scratch on the wall. We charge only for unreasonable damage or missing items that can't be considered normal usage – lost towels, make-up/dye-stained towels, torn sheets, mud-ruined quilts, a hole bashed in the wall, that sort of significant and unusual thing.
Can I hold my family reunion at your cottages?
- Yes, we're a perfect spot for smaller family reunions! Each family can have their own cottage and then gather together in our common flagstone patio area.
Can I hold my wedding at your cottages?
- No, our property is not set up for actual weddings. However, Estes Park is a beautiful place for a wedding! We often host guests that are attending weddings in the area and host brides, grooms, flower girls (our favorite!) and other wedding participants. We love the energy and anticipation our wedding guests bring to our property. Unfortunately, we no longer allow wedding related activities or events due to negative experiences. Please use our property as it's intended: for lodging and small get-togethers on our patio. Our property is not a hair salon nor a dressing area for non-registered guests.
Can I hold a party at your cottages?
No, we do not allow parties or events at our cottages.
What do I do for food?
- You will need to provide your own food if you want to cook. All of our cottages with the exception of Aspen and Evergreen have fully equipped kitchens. Our local grocery store, Safeway, should have everything you need. There are also several restaurants of all types in Estes Park. Information on area restaurants can be found at or Town's visitor's website: www.visitestespark.com/restaurants/.
Can I check in early/check out later?/
- During our busy summer months, we're unable to accommodate early check-ins or late check-outs. We will be fully booked and need time to properly clean and prep the cottages for next guests.
- We can be more flexible in the winter months, depending on when the next guest will be arriving, but you need to specifically ask and receive an answer beforehand. You must ask within 1 week of your arrival, and at least 24 hours ahead of the extra time you want.
Can I bring my pet?
- Our cottages are not pet-friendly for the comfort of all our guests.
There are several pet boarding facilities in Estes Park. Some options include:
- Estes Park Pet Lodge: www.estesparkpetlodge.com
- Elena's Barking Lot: https://elenasbarkinglot.com/
- Animal Hospital of the Rockies: http://www.estesparkpetvet.com/ Our vet for our beloved dog, Rai, is at the Animal Hospital of the Rockies and we can't recommend them highly enough for pet care. Unfortunately, we had to let Rai go recently after 14 wonderful years together. We miss him!
I want to have family over for dinner, do I have to pay extra?
- The extra-guest charges are for guests staying overnight. You do not have to pay to have people visit for the day as long as they do not stay the night. Day visitors do need to leave the property by 10 pm.
- Do your cottages allow smoking?
- Smoking is strictly forbidden inside and outside all of our cottages.
What is your cancellation policy?
- When you rent a cottage from River Rock Cottages, the cottage is reserved for your exclusive use, and so it is unavailable for anyone else to rent. A cancellation usually means that nobody will be able to stay at the property for that time, because most people plan their vacations in advance. Therefore, we do not encourage cancellations.
The cancellation policy is as follows:
One hundred percent of the total booking charges will be refunded less a $75 cancellation fee if the cancellation is made more than 30 days prior to the arrival date of the reservation.
For cancellations made within 30 days of the arrival date but outside of 3 days, the 50% deposit is non-refundable
For cancellations made within 3 days of arrival, the guest is responsible for the entire booking.
We highly recommend buying travel insurance - either standard or CFAR (cancel for any reason) - when booking a vacation rental cottage. Needing to cancel or move dates is extremely common and it greatly helps to have travel insurance if the unforeseen happens. We sell travel insurance directly through our software and can provide you links to buy it with your booking. Please contact us about this if you have questions. It typically costs about 7% for standard and about 9% for CFAR.
How do I get into the cottage I rented?
- About three days before your scheduled arrival, we send you an email with directions and an access code to a lockbox to the left of the front door of the cottage. This way, you can arrive however late suits your schedule and you don't have to worry about meeting anyone in person. If you have multiple cars coming, you can give everybody the code, and whoever gets there first can unlock the door and get in.
If for some reason you don't receive this email, check your SPAM folder or write us to have it re-sent to you.
We do not have an office due to our neighborhood's zoning. We live on our main property however, 311 Virginia Dr, in the 2-story gray house at the end of Entrance 1. We're here to help as needed!
Are your cottages handicapped accessible?
Our Golden Leaf Cottage is fully handicapped accessible.
What if my guest numbers change after I make a booking?
No problem! You can simply change your guest numbers up or down by letting us know, and we'll adjust the charges accordingly.
Who counts as children?
When counting guests at our cottages, children are defined as anyone who has not yet reached their 18th birthday. This includes infants but does not include those yet unborn. Our Town's code requires that we include infants in our guest count for maximum occupancy.
What is your marijuana policy?
Our beautiful state legalized the recreational use of marijuana effective January 2014. We fully support this change and have no issues with marijuana being consumed in our cottages, except for smoking marijuana. If you must 'light it' to consume, then don't. Edibles, tablets, drinks, etc, no problem!
Do you have quiet time?
Yes! For the comfort for all our guests and our neighbors, we have quiet time from 10 pm to 8 am.